Back to School Bookshelf

Tuesday, June 18, 2019
I've been teaching 9 years and I've developed quite the love of picture books! Especially those that teach character education and support a strong classroom community! Here are a few of my favorite back to school books! My students and I read these during the first couple weeks of school. During our readings we review classroom & school wide expectations. We will also role play what to do in some of these situations and talking about problem solving skills. 

The Bad Seed
The Good Egg
The Invisible Boy
The Sandwich Swap
Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun
Lacey Walker Nonstop Talker
First Day Jitters
The Name Jar
Same, Same but Different
My Teacher is a Monster

These books are so memorable and we reference them each time we encounter the same problems that the main characters do! We think back about how it was handled in the story and consider whether we should take the same approach or try something different. I hope you enjoy these books for the beginning of the school year. Do you have favorite books for back to school read-alouds? Comment below with your suggestions! I'd love to hear them!

Also, people always ask how these books are being displayed on my white board. If you're wondering the same thing... hop over to Lakeshore Learning and purchase the Magnetic Display Tray- Set of 6. They're a must have! I use them throughout the year to display our Lucy Calkins books or holiday books that we'll be reading during the week. The students love seeing them and are constantly asking, "When are we going to read ________?" I also allow them to choose books from the shelves AFTER it's been read to them.

No comments